Find Your Forever Home
February is known as the month for love. While the hype is typically surrounding your sweetheart and love, what about the love of your current home? If you don’t adore where you live, perhaps it’s time for a new one! Here are a few steps to locating your forever home:
- Get prequalified for a home loan. This will help you determine what price range you can afford when you begin your search.
- Find a real estate professional to guide you through the process. Choosing a realtor is a personal choice and should be made wisely as they will help you during one of the biggest decisions in your life. Or browse our tips for finding the perfect agent.
- Make a list. Jot down some feature you require in a home, i.e. bedrooms, baths, size of yard, garage, etc. and features that are nice to have, i.e. fireplace, pool, number of stories, etc. Knowing in advanced what is and is not a requirement will help during the initial search process. If you truly are looking for your forever home, not your first home, then think long term what your needs may be (i.e. storage and space for additional family members).
- Explore the neighborhood. Research what neighborhoods you’d like to buy a home in. Unlike renting, you won’t be moving in a year. So make sure the neighborhood you’re exploring in is the neighborhood you’d like to be living in. Check out the school system and crime rates as this purchase is a commitment.
- Do your due diligence. Be an informed home buyer by reviewing the comps for the area with your agent. Make a serious offer and require a home inspection. Even if the home fits all of the criteria above, if you don’t get it for the right price or it has major repairs it’s still not the perfect home for you!
Whatever the season, if moving is on your agenda then keep these five tips in mind when locating your forever home. For additional home buyer resources, visit the Homes.com YouTube channel.