My Search for a Contractor
After making some decisions about the décor in my bathroom, it’s now time to start researching how we can get this project completed, so I began searching for contractors and/or handymen within the Hampton Roads area. I came across several and prepared a few questions that would give me the information I needed to know when hiring a professional to do work on my home:
- Ask the contractor for his or her license number so you can research whether there are any complaints on the company and/or individual.
- Will there be subcontractors or will he or she be doing this alone? Is everyone insured and up to how much?
- What is the estimated time frame for this project and how many hours each day will be dedicated to your home?
- Will he or she and/or the crew clean up and dispose of the materials?
- Will there be any guarantees about the quality of work?
- And of course, the bottom line is how much? You should request an itemized price estimate for the work being completed and discuss the possibility of a payment schedule.
A good rule of thumb would be to get quotes from at least three contractors/handymen prior to making a decision. For me, this involved them coming out to my home and to see the bathroom and evaluate the size and the work involved. Remember, this person, or group, will be in your home for days or weeks during the renovation process. So go with your instincts and hire someone you know you can trust!
Be sure to weigh in on my next blog as I update you on the fixtures I’m looking to put in the bathroom!