Spring Cleaning Checklist
After months of winter weather keeping us stuffed up indoors, the fresh, crisp arrival of spring has us throwing open our windows and ready to freshen things up. Take advantage of these longer days and bursts of energy by tackling your home with this spring cleaning checklist!
In addition to your regular cleaning, there are some deep cleaning steps that are great to do at least once a year, making spring cleaning a great time to tackle these tasks. I like to work room by room so I can break my spring cleaning up over multiple days and still see progress along the way, and nothing beats a squeaky clean kitchen, so let’s start there!
- Wipe down outside and inside of cabinet doors, drawers and shelves.
- Wipe down toe kick and the edges where your cabinetry meets the kitchen floor.
- Wipe down dust that accumulates on top of your kitchen cabinetry.
- Pull out refrigerator, unplug, and gently vacuum the coils located in the back to remove dust and dirt. This is also a great time to vacuum the floor under your refrigerator as well.
- Organize your pantry and remove any expired items.
- Declutter any problem areas like drawers that get too full to close or cabinets that have become catch-alls.
- Temporarily remove toilet bowl lid (gently screw it on/off from the bottom) to thoroughly clean any dirt that may have built up in that space.
- Launder shower curtain and hang a fresh shower curtain liner if necessary.
- Wipe down outside and inside of vanity/bathroom cabinetry drawers and shelves.
- Wipe down toe kick and the edges where your vanity/bathroom cabinetry meets the floor.
- Vacuum all upholstery.
- Launder throw pillows.
- Wipe down inside and outside of washing machine.
- Wipe down inside and outside of dryer.
- Remove lint trap from dryer and wash thoroughly in warm, soapy water. Allow it to dry completely before replacing it in your dryer.
- Launder pillows.
- Flip or rotate mattresses.
- Wipe down baseboards throughout your entire home (working room by room) and use the angled attachment on your vacuum cleaner to vacuum up debris that collects along the edges of your floor where the carpet meets your baseboards.
- Wipe down all your walls and doors to remove dust and dirt that builds up throughout the year. This is also a great time to address any spots that need some light spackling and/or a paint touch-up.
- Clean and disinfect all light switches and door handles.
- Remove all floor, wall and register vents and thoroughly clean them in warm, soapy water.
- Shampoo carpets.
- Change batteries in smoke detectors and carbon monoxide detectors.
- Wash both sides of your windows and thoroughly wash out window tracks.
- Vacuum and/or wipe down blinds, and gently launder and air dry curtains.
- Vacuum and/or wipe down lampshades, exposed light bulbs, and light fixtures. Dust ceiling fans.
Once your spring cleaning is finished you’ll be all set to relax and enjoy your clean and healthy home all season long. Try a homemade cleaner for a greener, all-natural option.