Organizing Projects for the New Year
Come January 1, it will be out with the Christmas tree—and in with the organizing. It’s time to find a place for everything and keep everything in its place. The key is reworking, refiling, and reordering. Celebrate the coming of the new year with some simple organizing projects for your office, your craft room, your kitchen and all your holiday décor. Here are a few organizing ideas and a little inspiration to get you started.
Craft Closet Organization Ideas:
- Organize gift wrap supplies on a peg board with dowel rods to hold the wrapping paper in place and hooks for scissors, ribbon, and tape.
- Purchase simple bins from the dollar store, place on a shelf or table top, label with vinyl labels and easily organize supplies.
- Use open jars to group pencils, pens, markers, and paintbrushes.
- Create a box made out of peg board for a mobile creativity station. Add hooks to the side for tape, clipboards and scissors. Fill the inside with craft supplies. When you are done, you can pile everything back into the box and store until the next time you need it.
Office Organization Ideas
- Label baskets with vintage letters. Labeled baskets are the perfect place to store everything from A to Z.
- Use an old shutter to organize your day. Clip notes onto the shutter for your daily to-do-list. You could also clip extra notes and last minute projects.
- Organize your file folders with these clever clock clips. Make your own with clock faces and glue onto clothes pins. Then clip on the time of day you intend to address the contents of a file folder.
- Patterned and decorative file folders are also a fun way to keep your paperwork in its place. They are so pretty, you’ll want to stay organized.
Kitchen Organization Ideas
- Start by emptying all your cabinets. Place everything on a kitchen counter and evaluate. Make three piles: donate, keep, toss. Then donate the items to a charity, toss what needs to be tossed and organize the rest.
- Wood boxes like these are a clever way to organize holiday dishes, linens, and extra silverware. Label with a hand-stamped spoon handle for a whimsical touch.
- Decorate with your dishes. Don’t store bowls, dishes, and platters out of sight. Instead, decorate the kitchen with them and keep them in easy reach.
Organize Holiday Supplies
- Hang ribbons for holiday gift wrap on hooks in the gift-wrapping station.
- When packing up holiday décor, select a colored tote for each season. For example, Christmas might be red, fall might be orange and spring might be white. This makes the décor easy to find when decorating for the next season.
- Take a picture of a vignette or mantel, print out on paper and tape to the inside lid of the tote. Then place everything you used to decorate for that part of the home inside. It’s an easy way to remember how you decorated areas of your house before.
This year, why not give your spaces a little extra help to start January off right? A foundation of organization can help you prepare for all you want to accomplish in 2017. Here’s to an organized home and a Happy New Year.
Homes.com is the place to dream and discover your ideal home! Are you starting to get the itch to look for your first or next home, but don’t know where to start? You’ve come to the right place! Browse our real estate and lifestyle blog for home buying tips, mortgage guides, DIY ideas, interior design, lifestyle topics, general home inspiration, or just some homes fun. We are sure you can scratch that itch and find all the information and tools you need to help in your home search. Want to start looking at available real estate right now? Head to our home page and check out homes for sale or rent listings all over the country.
Happy house hunting!