How to Spruce up a Room – on the Cheap!
Now that we are officially immersed in the New Year, you may be thinking about freshening up your home! If your Christmas bills have you down but you’re dying for a home decor facelift, here are a few reasonably priced ways to make a room feel brand new!
Ask any interior designer and they will tell you that the quickest and cheapest way to change a room is to repaint it. A gallon of paint will run you anywhere from $25-$50 depending on the type of paint. Grab a paintbrush, dropcloth and other painting accessories plus a few hours of your time and you’ve changed the look of a room by only $100-ish buckaroos! Here are some paint ideas to make a difference in a tired room:
- Pantone Color: Designers and Home Decor experts take their color notes from the Pantone Color of the Year. 2017’s color is Greenery and is “ a fresh and zesty color that is symbolic of new beginnings.” Try a shade of Greenery to make a room feel fresh and bright.
- Accent Wall: If you’re in the mood for a deep, daring color such as Sherwin Williams Mature Grape, but too afraid to use it for an entire room, just paint an accent wall! A pop of color can make a room instantly stylish!
- Mood: When thinking about repainting a room, consider the mood you are trying to create. For example, a bedroom shade should be a soothing color that promotes calmness, such asSherwin William’s Agreeable Gray.
Accessories Swap Out
Small changes in a room’s accessories can make a big difference in the overall look and style of a room!
- Pillows: Brand new pillows or pillow covers can make an older couch or chair look brand new. Purchase down pillow inserts from Amazon and different pillow covers from stores such as Pottery Barn and Ikea. Bonus – you can remove the covers to wash them when needed!
- Books: Books are a great decor tool. From beautiful coffee table books, to stacking up books to give items a natural pedestal for displaying special items, books are an affordable way to change up a shelf or table. Pick up vintage books at Goodwill or a local thrift store to add to your collection.
- Photos and Artwork: Get your photos off your smartphone by printing them at Shutterfly. They will send you new photos directly to your home so you can update your family photo collection. Add to your framed art collection by framing pretty pieces of scrapbook paper or fabric patterns from a craft store such as Michaels.
Rearranging is key!
- Furniture: Change up the entire feel of a room by moving furniture around. Swap out chairs from one room to another or change the position of a couch to make a room feel brand new.
- Shelving: If you have a room with built-in shelving or bookcases, take everything off the shelves and rearrange. You would be amazed at how different your shelves can look!
Welcome the New Year with these simple home decorating tricks to refresh your favorite rooms in the house!
Homes.com is the place to dream and discover your ideal home! Are you starting to get the itch to look for your first or next home, but don’t know where to start? You’ve come to the right place! Browse our real estate and lifestyle blog for home buying tips, mortgage guides, DIY ideas, interior design, lifestyle topics, general home inspiration, or just some homes fun. We are sure you can scratch that itch and find all the information and tools you need to help in your home search. Want to start looking at available real estate right now? Head to our home page and check out homes for sale or rent listings all over the country.
Happy house hunting!