Easy Home Projects to Do Over the Weekend
If you’ve got an open weekend and a hankering for some good old-fashioned DIY, I’ve got a few weekend projects for you! You’ll be able to get your fixer-upper on with some quick and easy projects guaranteed to transform a room or two in just a couple of days!
A kitchen backsplash is one of those great home design pieces that truly has a functional purpose – to protect the wall from accidental splashes of water and grease from dishwashing and cooking. Plus I think we can all agree it really completes a kitchen update. Who doesn’t love crisp white subway tiles or a fun mosaic pattern behind the oven range? A backsplash doesn’t have to cost a fortune, and better yet, there are tons of products out there to help just about anybody install their own backsplash.
- Backsplash Kit – This great kit from Mineral Tiles includes everything you need to get your backsplash done in just a few hours! Complete with the necessary tools, instructions and peel and stick tiles, you can have a backsplash installed by dinner time! A neat trick – you can cut these tiles if needed using scissors or a utility knife.
- Peel and Stick by the Square Foot – If you don’t need a full install kit, these peel and stick subway tiles from Wayfair are all the rage right now!
- Smart Tiles – Home Depot has an extensive line of easy to install Smart Tiles to choose from.
- Learn more about the value and benefits of a backsplash.
They say everything old is new again, and that is 100% true when it comes to Wallpaper! Wallpaper experienced extreme popularity in the ’60s and ’70s but has come back with a vengeance in the last few years. With fun patterns in every color and style imaginable, it’s another great weekend project anyone can tackle!
- Wallpaper Tool Kit – Home Depot sells this super affordable wallpaper tool kit with the ever important roller to smooth out those pesky bubbles!
- Easy to Remove Wallpaper – This peel and stick wall paper from NuWallpaper is for those of you who are always looking for a change (you know who you are!) With hundreds of patterns, you are sure to find a design that you will love for at least a few months! When you’re tired of it, you can remove with no residue on your walls! I love this for those scared to commit!
- Beautiful patterns – Serena and Lilly has some of the most beautiful and unique patterns of wallpaper around. I can see one of their bold patterns gracing my powder bath!
This DIY is cheap and probably the easiest on the list. Looking for a central place to keep track of to-dos, grocery lists and homework assignments? Look now further than a chalkboard wall! Whether it’s in your mud room or in your kitchen, this easy project will make your house function a heck of a lot better!
- Great for small spaces – Don’t have enough room for a whole wall? These Wall Pops from Target are perfect for small spaces. Consider hanging a few – one for grocery lists, one for homework and one for general to-dos.
- Removable Decal – This large decal from Amazon is perfect for a pantry door and goes on easy!
- Paint – Looking for something more permanent? Simply measure and tape off a section of the wall and paint away using this Rust-Oleum paint from Home Depot.
Change your Hardware
This incredibly easy and affordable project packs a big punch. You can even pay your teenagers to tackle this project – it’s never too early to earn some dough! Changing hardware from outdated brass to updated brushed silver or bronze can transform an entire kitchen or bathroom. All you need is basic tools and maybe a drill to make new holes.
- Funky hardware – Check out Anthropologie for unusual hardware in an array of colors and styles.
- Basic hardware – Home Depot and Lowe’s has your best assortment of silver, bronze and gold hardware.
Give yourself a few weekends and a little elbow grease and you can update your house with these fun projects! Happy project-ing!