Beat the Heat
The summer heat is almost upon us, and depending on where you live, that can make outdoor living almost unbearable! To get the most out of your home this summer, try these “beat the heat” tricks and tools guaranteed to make this a summer to remember!
Maybe it’s too hot to sit outside on your beautiful patio during the day, but the cool evening breeze makes it the perfect gathering spot for neighbors, family, and friends. Until… the dreaded bugs come a crawling (or flying!). Combat the incoming insects with these easy to find bug repellent tools and services:
- Citronella candles: You can’t go wrong with citronella candles. I’ve found this brand that can be purchased at Lowes to be the most effective!
- Bug spray: Keep bug spray handy for your outdoor festivities. Brands like OFF and DEET tend to work the best!
- Need more aggressive yard treatment? Try a bug spray service through your lawn care or insect provider. TruGreen, Killingsworth and Terminix all offer mosquito spraying services. If you already have a contract with one of these companies, you will be more likely to receive a deal on mosquito spraying.
- More of a “do it yourself-er?” Try this at-home bug misting system you can prep and use yourself!
Have a pop party!
Entertaining during the summer months? Why not invest in a popsicle and/or sno-cone machine? You will love making your own icy treats and your guests will definitely thank you!
- This pop machine from Bed Bath and Beyond is reasonably priced and easy to use.
- Sno-cones are a classic treat that everyone loves! This sno cone machine from Target may just be your go-to summer small appliance!
- Pro Tip: Making popsicles and sno-cones are great activities for the kids this summer! Beat boredom with a pop-making party!
Can’t Stand the Heat? Get out of the Kitchen!
Is there anything worse in the dog days of summer than standing at the hot stove? Try these meal ideas that will keep you cool!
- Cold salads: These hearty salads require zero cooking – prepping and chopping only!
- Hydrating foods: Vegetables and Fruits such as watermelon, cantaloupe and leafy greens are naturally hydrating! Throw fruits and greens in a smoothie for a quick meal replacement.
- Water, water, water: Staying hydrated is so important during the hot summer months. Spice up your water routine by infusing water with citrus fruits or investing in a Soda Stream to carbonate your water!
You’re on your way to a bug-free and COOL summer! Hope it’s a great one!
Homes.com is the place to dream and discover your ideal home! Are you starting to get the itch to look for your first or next home, but don’t know where to start? You’ve come to the right place! Browse our real estate and lifestyle blog for home buying tips, mortgage guides, DIY ideas, interior design, lifestyle topics, general home inspiration, or just some homes fun. We are sure you can scratch that itch and find all the information and tools you need to help in your home search. Want to start looking at available real estate right now? Head to our home page and check out homes for sale or rent listings all over the country.
Happy house hunting!