More
The Winder area was first populated by Creek Indians hundreds of years ago, and they called it Snodon. Later, white settlers inhabited the area and renamed it The Jug in 1793. In subsequent years, the first school was built, and Fort Yargo was constructed. The town grew slowly in following years and was left mostly unscathed by the Civil War although there were multiple nearby battles. In the later part of the 19th century, the town became a central stop on the railroad making it a prominent location. The city was eventually renamed Winder after a railroad manager John H. Winder. In the late 19th century and early 20th century, the town began to flourish and many businesses and manufacturing companies began to boom in the area, and the town was later modernized in the 1950s.

Located in Barrow County, Georgia, Winder is recognized as the county seat and is positioned in the larger Atlanta metropolitan area. It is located west of Athens and northeast of the center of Atlanta. As of 2010, the city has a population 14,099. Because the area is a largely residential community, housing consists predominantly of detached single-family homes with only a small percentage of apartment and condo complexes.
SHOW MORE

Home Buying Resources