With summer here, light meals are perfect for satisfying your appetite. Fruits and vegetables are both colorful and delicious in fresh recipes. Here are a few recipes perfect for summer that are simple to make, refreshing, and filling.
Roasted Vegetable Tart
Healthy and rustic, this recipe is a great substitute for pizza. Although made with no meat, the tart is filling and delicious.
- 1 small eggplant (cut into 1 inch pieces)
- 1 large zucchini (cut into ¼-inch slices)
- 4 medium to small tomatoes (chopped)
- 1 sweet red pepper (cut into 1-inch pieces)
- 4 garlic cloves
- ½ tsp salt
- 1/8 tsp pepper
- 1 sheet refrigerated pie pastry
- 4 separate tablespoons of olive oil
- 1 tablespoon cornmeal
- 1 tablespoon Parmesan cheese
- minced fresh basil
- Combine vegetables in a bowl with 3 tablespoons of olive oil, garlic, pepper, and salt. Move to ungreased baking pan and bake for 25-30 minutes at 450 degrees. Stir every 10 minutes while baking.
- On slightly flowered surface, roll pie pastry in a 13 inch circle. Sprinkle cornmeal over 14-inch pizza pan and place pastry on top. Take baked vegetables and place in middle of pastry 1-1/2 inch from the edges. Fold up edges of pastry over the vegetable filling. (Center should stay uncovered)
- Bake at 450 degrees for 20-25 minutes. The crust should be golden brown. Sprinkle with Parmesan cheese and cut into pizza-like slices. Add minced fresh basil on top.
Strawberry Feta Salad
A refreshing salad both healthy and yummy! This salad makes a great side to your summer main course dish.
- 1 cup sliced almonds
- 2 garlic cloves (minced)
- 1 tsp honey
- 1 tsp Dijon mustard
- 1/4 cup of raspberry vinegar
- 2 tablespoons balsamic vinegar
- 2 tablespoons brown sugar
- 1 cup vegetable oil
- 1 head romaine lettuce
- 1 pint fresh strawberries (sliced)
- 1 cup crumbled feta cheese
- In a skillet, cook almonds over medium heat. Stir frequently. Remove from heat once slightly toasted.
- In a bowl, whisk together the honey, garlic, Dijon mustard, raspberry vinegar, brown sugar, balsamic vinegar, and vegetable oil.
- In a separate large bowl toss together the romaine lettuce, almonds, strawberries and feta cheese. Add in the dressing, toss, and serve.
Honeydew Mint Popsicles
This delicious dessert is extremely simple to make and perfect for beating the heat this summer.
- 1 medium honeydew melon, seeded
- 1 large cucumber (chopped)
- 1 large handful of fresh spearmint leaves
- Cut melon in half and scoop out the seeds and throw away. Scoop out the flesh and place in bowl (this will help catch the honeydew juices).
- Put melon flesh, melon juices, chopped cucumber, and fresh mint into a blender (Vita Mix preferred, but other blenders will do, just make sure to chop cucumbers into smaller pieces and mince the mint leaves). Blend until smooth.
- Pour into popsicle molds and freeze overnight.
These summer recipes are quick fixes and refreshing for your taste buds! Which one of these recipes is a must-add to your summer meal list?