Disaster Prep
Most Recent
Read More
November 15, 2018

How to Prepare Your Home for a Wildfire

Fire Weather Watch

If a fire weather watch has been issued, then weather that would enable a wildfire is possible over the next 12 to 72 hours. Turn on your TV and/or radio to listen for updates, or keep your phone handy and turned on if you have an emergency alert app. Be aware that the power might go out, so you need a way to stay informed regardless. Be prepared to evacuate if a wildfire is spotted. Research and learn your evacuation routes in advance, and share your planned routes with family and friends. Keep your phone charged, your car fueled, some cash on hand, and keep emergency supplies, medications, important documents, and a change of clothes in your car. If an evacuation [...]

Read More
September 28, 2018

How to Clean Up Your Home After a Natural Disaster

Cleaning up and repairing your home after a natural disaster can be an arduous and emotional process. But taking these steps in the first 48 hours after a major event may help you feel a little less overwhelmed.
Read More
September 11, 2018

Ride Out Hurricane Season with This Emergency Preparedness Kit!

Despite the same threat to homes and communities year after year, disaster preparedness is essential for ensuring the safety of your home and family. This emergency preparedness kit will help in a hurricane.
Read More
December 27, 2017

How to Survive a Winter Power Outage

Chances are you’ve experienced a power outage thanks to winter weather. Most power outages last a few hours, but others can last for days or weeks. If you’re not prepared for them, or can’t afford to relocate to a hotel or area with power, a long outage can be miserable. Now’s the time to beat the rush to the store in preparation of the first winter outage!

Stay warm

The first thing you notice when the power goes out, is so does your heat. Unless you heat with gas, the cold is the first thing you and your family will notice. Here are some ways to bring heat into your home:

Hang dark colored blankets in the windows. The dark color will pull in [...]
Read More
November 1, 2017

The Emergency Contact List that Every Homeowner Should Have

Do you know whom to call if something goes wrong in your home? This Homes.com guide will help you prepare for any emergency situation at home.
Read More
August 24, 2017

Backyard Bomb Shelters Are Making a Comeback! What You Should Know

Bomb shelters are the quintessential home add-on for those who tend to expect the unexpected. The 1960s were a time of unprecedented concern regarding the threat of nuclear war and that hysteria hasn’t gone anywhere. Bomb shelters are still popular among many homeowners and the need for one is still booming. “There’s always been a demand for underground shelters,” said Dave French, a survival expert and business owner of a bomb shelter company. “Most people consider them a must have for weather events, tornadoes, hurricanes, fires, financial collapse and that sort of thing.” But shelters specifically for bombs?

“People are concerned [...]

Read More
August 16, 2017

How to Prepare Your Home for Hurricane Season

Summer is hurricane season. Follow these tips to prepare your home for hurricane season and increase your odds of limiting damage to your property.
Read More
August 9, 2017

Are you Ready for Hurricane Season?

Do you live near the Gulf or Atlantic Coasts? Are you planning to move to or vacation in a city like New Orleans, Orlando, Virginia Beach, Jacksonville, Charleston, or even Atlanta or Washington, DC that may lie in the path of a devastating hurricane this summer?

If so, forecasters at the National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration’s Climate Prediction Center advise you to be prepared for another worse-than-normal hurricane season. For the upcoming Atlantic hurricane season, which runs from June 1 through November 30, forecasters predict a 45 percent chance of an above-normal season, a 35 percent chance of a near-normal season and only a 20 percent chance of a [...]

Read More
July 25, 2017

How to Reduce Driveway Accidents at Home

This Simple Fix Can Reduce Driveway Accidents at Home

Homeowners must consider a multitude of safety issues when shopping for and caring for their homes. When most people think of home safety, many consider what can happen inside the home. But the safety of your home includes the driveway — where accidents can be common and devastating. Whether it’s backing into a mailbox, running over a cast-aside bicycle, or something much worse, like striking a pet or a child, back-over accidents are one reason driveway safety should be on your home safety checklist as you’re looking for your next home.

Because back-over accidents can be so damaging — even a matter of life and [...]

Read More
July 13, 2017

Benefits of Grading Your New Orleans Home’s Lawn

Are you dealing with a soggy lawn and not sure what to do? It’s hard to enjoy your outdoor space if your yard feels like you’re walking across a soaked sponge. But don’t worry. You can correct the problem with proper grading and compacting.

What Are Grading and Compacting?

Grading is a method of “reshaping” your lawn so the soil slopes, allowing water to run off instead of saturating the ground around your home. This is of great importance to NOLA residents, who live in a low-lying area that receives a high amount of rainfall each year. When done correctly, grading will divert rainwater away from your home’s foundation and toward an approved [...]

Read More
June 16, 2017

Planting a Pet-Friendly Garden

Many of our furry friends, puppies especially, will try and taste just about anything they can reach. Cats are pickier, but will still chew on grasses and flowers. Most people know that chocolate is a no-go, but some mushrooms, flowers, grasses, and other natural flora are also poisonous to pets. When out walking, don’t allow your pets to eat anything they find, since you can’t be certain of what it is or whether it might be toxic. Also note that many fertilizers and pesticides sprayed on roadsides or in gardens can be equally deadly, so it’s always a good idea to keep your pets from nibbling on plants in strange areas. But you have more control over your own yard, [...]

Read More
May 10, 2017

Things I Wish I Knew When Going Through a Fire

“One of the number one things most house fire survivors say is, ‘I didn’t know how fast a fire could move,'” said Anthony C. Tornetta the Senior Manager of Media Relations for The American Red Cross. “Universally, all experts agree that you have just about two minutes to escape a fire before it’s too late to get out. Most survivors say they just have time to think, ‘It’s a house fire and it’s time to go. This is real, and I need to go,'” he said. “You don’t have time for much more if you want to live.”

People wish they knew there is no time to save anything but themselves in a house fire. Then they [...]

Home Search

Mobile Apps