Located in Citrus County, Inverness, Florida is a small community with a population of 7,210 and serves as the county seat. The city is comprised of eight constituent neighborhoods. Housing in these areas is most predominantly made up of single-family homes, and the area provides a small percentage of high-rise apartments and attached homes.
Settlement in Inverness has been dated back to 1868, and the founder, A.D. Tompkins, worked on attracting settlers with mail service and a running sawmill. Rumor has it that the area was later name Inverness after the lochs of Inverness in Scotland. The city is located at the foot on one of Citrus County’s chain of lakes, which inspired its Scottish name. The city was officially incorporated in 1917, and the residents of the community have worked to preserve the historical roots of the town through a number of grants. Today, the community possesses over twelve recognized historic locations, which can be visited by both locals and tourists. Elvis Presley even used the historic courthouse in one of his films.
The city has been recognized for its natural location, and the U.S. Forest Service and National Arbor Day Association named it a Tree City USA. Much of the surrounding natural land is part of the Flying Eagle Preserve along with a number of other recognized parks including the Fort Cooper State Park, Withlaopka Community Park and the McGregor Smith Scout Reservation. These parks offer a number of trails and other recreational activities including the Withlacoochee State Trail which follows the historic Atlantic Coast Line Railroad Line. Additionally, the local Lakes Region Library offers a number of recreational classes for both youth and adults. The city is also home to a number of annual events. Most predominantly, the Great American Cooterfestival includes a number of family activities and music events, and the Festival of the Arts showcases over 100 fine artists. The small community offers a vast range of activities. This small, historic and active community is a beautiful quiet place to call home.