Easy Pimento Cheese Tarts – Big Game Recipe
Whether or not your team is playing for the trophy this year, everyone can have fun watching the Superbowl – because let’s face it: it’s really all about the food! From the dips to the meatballs to the beer, there’s something for everyone at most Super Bowl party spreads!
I’ve got a super easy but totally delicious recipe that will definitely score a touchdown at your Super Bowl party this year!
If you’re from the South, you’ve most definitely heard of pimento cheese. Being a Southern transplant, Pimento cheese is one of my favorite Southern foods. A simple cheesy spread made from cheddar cheese, mayo, onions and of course pimentos, the cheese is amazing on its own, but when turned into tartlets, it’s a slam dunk. (Wrong sport, I know.)
Using pre-made pimento cheese, phyllo shells (found in the frozen section of the grocery store) and a variety of toppings, this appetizer takes no time at all to whip up.
Easy Pimento Cheese Tarts topped with Bacon, Pepper Jelly, or Candied Pecans
Makes 15 Tarts
- 1 package phyllo tart shells
- 1 12 oz. container of your favorite pimento cheese (I love the brand Palmetto, made in good ole’ South Carolina)
- Bacon Bits or real crumbled bacon
- Pepper jelly (another southern delicacy, this is a spicy jelly found in the gourmet section of the grocery store by the fancy cheeses)
- Candied pecans
- Preheat oven to 350. Using a small spoon (I used a 1/2 teaspoon measuring spoon), scoop pimento cheese gently into the phyllo shells. Be careful with the shells because they are very fragile. You will have some pimento cheese left over but that’s great because it’s totally delish by itself.
- Add your favorite toppings. I like bacon for a salty flavor, pepper jelly for something a little spicy and candied pecans for a sweet taste.
- Carefully place on a baking sheet and bake for about 7 minutes. Watch the tartlets in the oven to make sure they don’t get too brown. When they are slightly browned up on the side and the cheese is dripping, you know they are ready to be popped in your mouth!
Not only are these tarts delicious they also make for a cute presentation because we all know people love miniature, one-bite appetizers! Watch the big game with these and you’ll forget all about how your team is playing!