This is a problem that I had at my house just a few months ago. In my first floor bathroom, the toilet bowl handle was extremely lose and wouldn’t flush the water down. As a new homeowner, I had no idea what to do. So I called the ‘Mr. Fix-it’ in my life, a.k.a DAD, and asked for help! Here’s what he showed me to do:
- Lift off the cover from the top of the toilet tank.
- Unhook the side of the chain attached to the old handle, leaving the flush rod side attached.
- Remove the nut of the flush handle located inside the toilet tank. To loosen the nut, turn clockwise, since it’s a reverse thread.
- Take off the old toilet flush handle and discard.
- Install the toilet’s new flush handle, and remember to turn the nut in a counterclockwise direction, since it’s a reverse thread.
- Attach the chain onto the new flush handle and flush to test.
- Put the toilet tank cover back onto the tank.
And voila! The handle was fixed and the toilet flushed like normal. For just 10 bucks, the cost of a new toilet flush handle, I had a new and working toilet.