Football Cinnamon Roll Cookies
Football season has finally arrived, and it’s time to gather the neighbors and friends for a homegating party! Whether you’re headed to the game or just watching at home, we all need a few go-to delicious treats to serve to the party crowd. We often have our favorite dips and burgers from year to year but what do you make for the perfect dessert? These football cinnamon roll cookies are delicious as a breakfast for morning games or a dessert for all-day football watching!
Cinnamon rolls are one of my favorite treats! It’s like dessert for breakfast so I knew I had to come up with a football-ready version for the fall season. These are more of a cookie texture but still full of the cinnamon roll flavor we all love. They’re easy enough to prep the day before or make the morning of the big game.
FOOTBALL CINNAMON ROLL COOKIES
- 1 pie crust (refrigerated or homemade, thawed)
- ½ stick butter
- ½ cup sugar
- ¼ cup cinnamon
- 1 ½ cups powdered sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- Roll out pie crust and brush with softened or slightly melted butter. Be sure to spread butter evenly to all edges.
- Sprinkle with cinnamon and sugar.
- Roll pie crust lengthwise into a tight long roll. Use a sharp knife to cut 1” rolls.
- Lay each roll flat and use the bottom of a large glass to flatten to about ¼” thickness.
- Use a knife or cookie cutter to cut out football shape from flattened roll.
- Bake all football shaped cinnamon rolls for 10-15 minutes or until slightly golden (this depends on thickness and size also so watch carefully).
- Allow to cool completely before icing.
- Whisk together powdered sugar and vanilla extract to make a thick glaze. You can also use vanilla frosting. The key is a thick glaze that won’t spread when piped. Pipe on the lace design to resemble a football.
You can make these football cinnamon roll cookies a day ahead. Just store them in a single layer so the icing does not get messed up. These are a great treat to package together as a hostess gift if you’re headed out to watch the game! You can even pipe the laces in your team’s colors! Just use food coloring to tint the icing.
For a twist on this recipe, make one large football cinnamon roll by placing the cinnamon rolls together and using a rolling pin to flatten out the rolls as one large piece. Use a knife to cut out a large football shape and bake accordingly. Pipe on the large laces and enjoy! Kids and adults alike will love this tasty football treat!
Check out these articles for more football party ideas and recipes!