Dessert Recipe for Valentine’s Day
Looking for the perfect dessert to make at home to surprise your sweetie? Whether you’re on the hunt for a romantic treat or a fun-filled activity for the kids, these chocolate heart cakes are the perfect dessert! These little cakelets are easy to make, full of chocolate flavor, and perfect for celebrating Valentine’s Day! You can decorate them any way you please too!
The concept is quite easy which means you can swap in your own personal favorite cake recipes. In fact, this recipe would be perfect for a red velvet or strawberry cake if you wanted a traditional red or pink color! Love traditional buttercream frosting on cakes? You can use that instead of this pour-over fudge. If you’re a chocoholic, however, then you’ll definitely want to follow the recipe below! It’s totally decadent and your sweetheart will have a hard time enjoying just one!
RECIPE: Valentine’s Chocolate Heart Cakes
Ingredients for the Cakes
- 1 box chocolate cake mix
- 1 (3.4 ounce) box instant chocolate pudding
- 1 cup sour cream
- 1/2 cup vegetable oil
- 1/2 cup water
- 4 eggs
Ingredients for the Fudge Icing
- 8 Tbsp (1 stick) butter
- 1 1/2 cups sugar
- 1/3 cup evaporated milk
- 1/2 cup semi-sweet chocolate chips
Directions for the Cakes
- Line 9×13 pan or sheet cake sized pan with parchment paper; set aside. Preheat oven to 350°.
- Combine all ingredients (cake mix, pudding, sour cream, vegetable oil, water, and eggs) together in bowl. Mix (with electric mixer) on medium speed for 3-4 minutes, or until batter is smooth.
- Pour batter into baking pan. Be sure it’s spread evenly.
- Bake at 350° for 18-20 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted into the center of the cake comes out clean. Allow cake to cool completely.
- Use a heart cutter to cut out cakes and gently remove from cutter.
Directions for the Fudge Icing
- Combine butter, sugar, and evaporated milk in a medium saucepan.
- Heat over medium heat, stirring often, until it reaches a rolling boil. Continue to stir for 1 minute.
- Remove from heat and stir in the chocolate chips. Continue stirring until chips have melted and icing is smooth and fully mixed.
- Immediately pour icing over top of heart cakes.
- When icing has cooled, dust on powdered sugar and garnish with Valentine’s sprinkles.
Why not host a Valentine’s Day Baking Party at home this year? Invite friends over, open a bottle of your favorite bubbly, and let the baking begin! Or let the kids enjoy the fun by adding on their favorite Valentine’s Day sprinkles! These also make the perfect gift to give to neighbors too! Everyone loves a little chocolate treat for Valentine’s Day!
For even more ideas to celebrate Valentine’s Day, check out the links below!