Southern Lemon Pie
There’s something about being in the south that makes it impossible not to love lemon desserts. Whether it’s your grandmother’s lemon chess squares or homemade lemonade, there’s no shortage of reasons to pucker up! One of my favorites is this Southern Lemon Pie. It’s rich in fresh lemon flavor and topped with a dusting of powdered sugar for the prettiest pie to serve to family and friends. Garnishes truly make the dessert because we eat with our eyes first. So I like to use thin slices of lemon on each slice with a sprig of mint for a touch of green. Finish with a dusting of powdered sugar. This pie can often have cracked tops (similar to a chess pie) so the powder helps give it a “finished look”. This recipe produces the perfect amount of tartness and sweetness for the ultimate lemon dessert. Note, this recipe does produce two pies! Don’t worry, you will want an extra. This is always nice to have for at-home parties so you can send your guests home with a little extra slice!
SOUTHERN LEMON PIE
- 2 2/3 cups sugar
- 1 tablespoon plus 1 teaspoon white cornmeal
- 1 tablespoon plus 1 teaspoon flour
- 6 eggs
- 6 tablespoons butter, melted
- 1/3 fresh lemon juice
- 1/3 cup whole milk
- 2 teaspoons fine lemon zest
- 2 (8-inch) pie shells, unbaked
- Preheat oven to 325 degrees F.
- In a large bowl fitted with electric mixer, combine sugar, cornmeal and flour. While on low, add eggs one at a time. Mix on medium until mixture is pale yellow and slightly foamy.
- Add melted butter, lemon juice, and milk. Continue to blend until well combined.
- Fold in lemon zest. Divide mixture between two pie shells.
- Bake for 45 minutes or until top is lightly golden and crust begins to brown. You can wrap crusts in aluminum foil halfway through baking to prevent crust from over cooking.
- Refrigerate pie until ready to serve.
Note: Makes 2 (8-inch) pies. Also, be sure you blend the eggs and sugar mixture until the eggs are light and slightly foamy. If you’re hosting a party at home, I hope you’ll try this luscious lemon pie. Or why not host a “pie party” to celebrate “Pi Day” on March 14th! Invite your friends over and have everyone bring their favorite pie (and recipe cards for everyone to take home). This lemon pie will be the hit of the party!
Homes.com is the place to dream and discover your ideal home! Are you starting to get the itch to look for your first or next home, but don’t know where to start? You’ve come to the right place! Browse our real estate and lifestyle blog for home buying tips, mortgage guides, DIY ideas, interior design, lifestyle topics, general home inspiration, or just some homes fun. We are sure you can scratch that itch and find all the information and tools you need to help in your home search. Want to start looking at available real estate right now? Head to our home page and check out homes for sale or rent listings all over the country.
Happy house hunting!