The 10 Most Dangerous Cities in the US
These cities put the “B” in bad when it comes to being the most dangerous cities in the US, according to data by Statista. These 10 cities, on average, have the highest number of violent crimes per 100,000 residents.
Most of these dangerous cities are in the Mid-West.
Topping the list is Detroit, the most populous city in Michigan. Although Detroit has made many efforts to recover from its economic downfall, the city still struggles with unemployment, demographic imbalances, abandoned neighborhoods, poverty, and high crime rates. Annually, Detroit has about 2,047 reported violent crimes per 100,000 residents. Although the streets of Detroit can be rough, it’s still a booming city: Detroit has been named one of the best cities in travel by Lonely Planet. The city has also seen a seven-year growth in residents returning to the workforce. The “D” (as it is nicknamed), is also committed to the redevelopment of Downtown Detroit with expansion and rebuilding projects. The city has added recreational and other centers to its landscape in an effort to maintain its pride and culture.
St. Louis ranks number two with 1,913 reported violent crimes per 100,000 residents annually. St. Louis, with major highways running throughout the city, has been named one of America’s dangerous cities many times, mostly dealing with crimes like drug and human trafficking. Despite that, there are still many attractions that bring people from near and far to St. Louis. The city is well-known for its musical influence in genres including the blues, jazz, country, hip-hop, and R&B. Also, St. Louis’ healthcare and pharmaceutical industry is evergrowing. STL also has two professional sports teams and nine of Missouri’s ten fortune 500 companies are headquartered in the Greater St. Louis area.
Another city famous for its cultural and musical influence that made the list was Memphis, Tennessee. Memphis is ranked the number three most dangerous US city, with the city seeing on average 1,820 violent crimes annually.
Baltimore is the only city in the Atlantic region that made our list. Baltimorians report about 1,780 violent crimes per 100,000 residents per year.
Although we compiled this list of most dangerous cities, every city on our list is a major metropolitan with a lot to offer. A busy city can often be a hotbed for crime especially around weekends, sporting events and concerts, and the holidays. Take these precautions when venturing into the city.
- Be aware of your surroundings. Before getting out of your car, take a look around. Be mindful of who and what are on the street with you and always park in well-lit areas.
- Always alert a friend or family member of your whereabouts or where you plan on heading.
- Don’t keep valuables in your car. Things like purses, wallets, laptops, and shopping bags should be kept in your trunk or locked in one of your car’s compartments. Also for women, if you plan on being out in the city, invest in a smaller purse like a crossbody rather than large tote bag styles. Seeing a purse that wraps around your body rather than one that you hold in your hand will deter purse snatchers. For men, don’t stuff your wallet with receipts and wads of cash. A passerby who intends to rob you may see a bulging wallet in your back pocket as a jackpot.
- Make sure the number to your local police precinct or law enforcement agency is stored in your phone. In the case of a mugging or an emergency on the street, it’s good to know who to call to follow up after a police report is made. Of course, make sure you always have access to your phone’s dial pad in case you need to make a quick call to 911. If you keep your phone locked, make sure you know how to access your phone’s emergency dialing feature from the lock screen. In the heat of the moment, anxiety can set in and something as simple as calling for help can become a daunting task. Make sure you’re prepared despite a surefire adrenaline rush.
- Always make sure your home is secure. Even if you’re just running to the store, always ensure doors and windows are locked if you plan on stepping out.